Wednesday, August 31, 2016

August 2016

After a short two months living in New Orleans, I am quickly beginning to settle into my new city. For most of my life I have lived in different cities over Alabama, finishing my undergraduate studies at Auburn University then living in Birmingham before moving to New Orleans. Thus, moving to an unfamiliar city and state was an exciting new experience for me to begin. The pharmacology program at Tulane has been in underway for about six weeks, and the progress has been substantial. I have learned more about pharmacology than I ever expected I would have at this point. Also, through acts of public service, I have had great opportunities to learn more about the New Orleans and Louisiana communities.
I began my service in New Orleans at the Crescent City Café on St. Charles Avenue, where I prepared meals for the homeless community within the city. The café’s mission is not only to provide assistance to those in need, but also to do it in a more dignified way. I worked in the kitchen cooking breakfast and preparing the different meals being served that day, and the café was able to serve over 90 hungry people in need within the New Orleans community! It was a perfect opportunity to quickly learn about some of the difficult circumstances facing many people in the New Orleans community while providing a direct impact to those in need.
After the devastating flood crisis in nearby Louisiana communities, Yama and I volunteered with United Way to help repair homes in a severely impacted neighborhood within Lafayette. We worked in two homes by removing moldy debris and cleaning out items damaged by the flood waters. This physical act of assistance was another opportunity to connect with people devastated by the natural disaster in my new home state. It was a shocking and humbling experience to witness firsthand the mass damage to homes in countless communities, many of which without any means to begin the rebuilding process. It was especially gratifying to see the unified effort from New Orleans to provide relief to those impacted by the recent floods, as many people from the city remembered the large support they received after the Hurricane Katrina flooding. Thus, there is a unique connection between the communities within the state, and it was an unforgettable experience to witness so many of the selfless acts firsthand.
In just two months I have enhanced my own personal experience and understanding of the misfortune that can fall upon others, and I am looking forward to continuing my educational studies here in New Orleans while striving to enhance the welfare of my new communities.


-August hours: 8
-Total semester hours: 8

No comments:

Post a Comment